Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hard Drive Heartbreak

I actually have done a decent job of backing up all our photos to Shutterfly, and getting my favorite videos uploaded to my Youtube account, but still, when the hard drive died I realized I hadn't finished backing up all the vacation media. But the worst part was that I had just barely taken all the photos off my phone from the past 1 1/2 yrs and put them on the computer. And erased them from the phone. Sigh.

So, apple-philes out there, do we update to Snow Leopard and leave it at that? Or do we go all the way to Lion? Do we then rely on iCloud as backup or subscribe to Carbonite?

On a separate note, the electric company is taking its sweet time responding to my email letting them know that not only have they been giving us free power since December of 2010, but they have been crediting us for power that we have used. The more we use, the more we save! (We have photovoltaic panels tied in to the grid and they are reading the meter wrong. Or they set it up wrong.) I have tried calling them, using their "we'll call you back when a service representative is available" feature, but they have never called. Wish us luck.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

"Woe unto you who do not back up your hard drive, for your time is soon at hand. Back up even the lowliest of your files, lest ye be smitten with the scourge of magnetic emptiness and despair. Replicate your songs, your missives, your graven images and your magical moving graven images, for all hard drives become subject to ruin. Sackcloth and ashes will be your master as your cursings signify your miserable and fallen state of file-lessness, much like Job of old. If only you would listen to and read from the words of the great users manual you would come to understand that the life of the hard drive is brief, indeed around three to five man years, and that all drives will surely give up the ghost. I testify unto you of these truths so that you may know wisdom and live with joy and rejoicing in your archival state."

-From Tom at http://art.uark.edu/faculty/hapgood/?p=139.

For backup, it seems easiest to just buy an extra hard drive and let Time Machine backup to that. However, you might want an online backup for when your house burns down after the power company comes to fix things and hooks it up even more wrong.

For online backup, I personally like CrashPlan way more than Carbonite because you have the option to not pay and just swap backup space with some other friend or family member if you so choose.

Hilary said...

Aaron, how about Snow Leopard or Lion? Or should I go straight to the wise and powerful Tom?

Aaron said...

I kind of like Lion better, but my computer is slightly slower since I upgraded to Lion. Then again, my computer is 4 years old, and was kind of low-end even when it was new. If your computer is in anyway newer or better than mine, Lion could work better.