Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Birthday Bash

Age defying products to keep me from looking my new decade.

A Kindle! Yayyyyy! Thanks, Dave!

So. I'm the big four oh. I teared up on Monday as I realized I was heading into my last hours in my 30's. But I'm okay with it now. I feel much wiser and more mature than I did last year, tee hee. Anyway, Dave finished work early so we could go see a movie . . . Star Trek. Loved it, by the way. Laughed at Bones McCoy and Scottie. I think Dave and I were the only ones in the theater (out of about 20) who got that it was supposed to be funny at times. Nobody else laughed. (Da**it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!) Oh, and I cried at the beginning. I'll blame it on leftover pregnancy hormones and being really fresh from the experience of giving birth.

Back to the birthday. Dave told me that some of our friends might come over after the movie. I mentioned that I hadn't planned dinner for the kids so we ought to pick up a pizza or something on the way home. Dave called home and told me then that Penny was over at the house fixing supper for the kids. I thought, "oh, that is nice of her." So we went to Wal-Mart for a while and bought "Enchanted April" on DVD. I've been waiting and waiting for that. Then we headed home and Dave mentioned that we were going to go in the front door. I had asked Dave earlier if I should be suspicious about Penny being over, etc. and he said yes, but asked me to please act surprised and that the real party would be on Saturday. He said kids would be here this night but not on Saturday. So I expected one or two families and kids.

As we approached the house I saw some cars parked in the cul-de-sac and thought "That looks like more cars than just a few families". As we approached the front door I could see chafing dishes in the kitchen. I thought, "Catering for a few friends . . .?" Then I opened the door and saw little Miranda Wright in the playroom and thought, "What the . . ." at which time the chorus of "SURPRISE" hit me along with silly string. The house was full of people! Aunts, uncles, cousins, friends. I was truly surprised.

One of the best things about the day was that Jill took a bottle while we were in the movie. Yayyyyy! And our friends, the Crawfords had their baby at 2 am. And, since the party was catered, very little clean up. And very few kids so the playroom stayed tidy. Maybe I should turn 40 again next year.

A wink and a smile.

I'm cute and I know it.

Flirting with my bud, Liam.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Hilary! You look awesome! When I turn 40, I hope I look as good as you!! I love your hair long too. I hope you had a wonderful day!

Sarah said...

I agree with Ashley! You look fabulous! Happy Happy Birthday!

Ilene said...

Happy Birthday, late. That sounds like a great party! Yes, why not turn 40 every year from now on? Nice job Dave!

David said...

Oh my gosh. If I look as good as you do when I'm 30, I'll be happy!

We have a thank you card sitting here waiting to be addressed and sent to you.... :-) It'll get sent soon!

Miss you guys! Jill is adorable! You and Dave do good work.

Stepi said...

Happy Birthday! What a lovely 40 year old girl you are. I'm happy you had such a great day and all that with a cute little newbie!

Kimberly said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Cheryl said...

Sorry I missed the festivities. I wish I could have been there instead of "recovering" in the hospital (someone pulled the fire alarm - twice! and four 'code pink' alerts). I hear it was a great party.

Adriane said...

Hilary! I finally read your blog entry. You are a very young 40 year old. Seriously. I would cry tears of joy that I looked as good as you and had six kids and was still SMOKIN' HOT! It was good to see you. Sorry, I was kind of cranky, I guess I could blame it on just being plain ole' tired!