Monday, May 25, 2009

Frog Spawn

Happy Memorial Day. I've spent the morning cleaning out frog spawn from our pool. Disgusting. Luckily, I did capture the female frog (huge) after the male finally popped off her back (yah, quite educational for the kids) and flung it into the desert. Dave "disposed" of 4 frogs the other night. He cleaned out all the spawn on Saturday morning, thinking that if he super-chlorinated the pool, the frogs would not come back. Sigh.

Also, Jeremy, in an effort to take care of the frogs himself (what a sweetheart), broke the net. So I called a neighbor who happened to have a net and a 2 year old who was thrilled to come over and learn about frogs. Of course, they came through the house so they could witness the chaos of my house with a newborn in it.

So why isn't Dave taking care of the problem today, you ask? Well, he and Elaine are living it up on the beach in San Carlos. It was originally scheduled as an educational field trip with one of Elaine's classes at school, but the school withdrew support a few weeks ago (I imagine due to swine flu and safety issues). But most everyone still went.

I'm sparing you photos of the spawn. Look it up online somewhere if you are interested. The basic description: thousands of tiny black pearls strung together all over the pool floor and steps. Did I say thousands? I'm sure it is millions. Look it up. I can't think about it anymore without heaving. Blech.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

we haven't even thought as far as thankgiving yet, but yes we DO need to get together!