Monday, March 2, 2009

The Big Ski Extravaganza!

Dr. Roland with Alex, Elaine and Jeremy about to ski a run at Powder Mountain.



We took a quick trip to the Ogden Valley to spend some time skiing with Dave's past boss at UT Southwestern. I had planned to stay in the "cabin" (huge beautiful home) with Ben and Liam, but they both wanted to try skiing. Ben just assumed all along that he would be skiing. Liam really had no idea what it was all about. I decided that now was as good a time as any for them to try, especially since it is relatively inexpensive here at Wolf Mountain, and there is a "magic carpet" conveyor belt rather than a rope tow. So I got them up early and suited them up for a lesson. Ben caught on right away. I am so excited for him. He will be able to ski with the big kids in no time at Brian Head in a few weeks. Liam was not as enthusiastic, but did really well for his age (3). He did what the instructor said and she didn't have to give up on him. In the video, Liam is the one in dark blue with the light blue instructor motivating him to make a big "pizza" (snowplow to me). Ben is in the yellow jacket who is supposed to make 8 big turns on his way down the hill.

The older kids and Dave spent most of their time at Powder Mountain, a few miles away. They had a blast and learned to parallel this year. They even got comfortable on all the big, bad black diamonds! Dave got to do a few powder runs with the Rolands. Everyone had a great time and we are so grateful to the Rolands for opening their winter paradise to us! Photos follow.

Ben and Liam snowball fight.

Ben is ready to shred.

Liam loves his skis.

Liam is losing enthusiasm.

Liam started to cry at this point, but was still able to function and follow directions.

At the top of the "hill".

Thank heaven for edgie-wedgies! They kept the kids' tips together.

Ben goes off on his own!
Relaxing after a big day on the slopes.

The Powder Mountain Posse: Rolands, Dave, Elaine, Jer, Alex.

Jer about to catch air!

Alex about to catch air!

Elaine at least 6 inches up!

2 comments:

Ilene said...

That looks like a great vacation. It's nice that your kids like skiing and snow. I'm amazed they went on a black diamond! I remember in junior high skiing with Megan at Alta and going on one black diamond together. I think I ended up taking off my skis and sliding down the edge of the run on my bum. I'm not the daring, adventurous type! Cute pictures on all the posts.

Marcie said...

Wow! How fun! That's so awesome that they can all ski. I'm impressed. It looks like y'all had a great time as a family. Thanks for all the pictures.
Marcie