Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Joys of Sinus Rinses

We took a vacation to Mexico . . . did I mention that already? I forgot our cameras, so hopefully I will get pictures from others eventually. Anyway, I caught a cold down there. Some people got a stomach bug, but that didn't hit our family til this past week. WARNING: FROM THIS POINT ON GROSS DISCUSSION OF HEALTH THAT SOME READERS MAY FIND OFFENSIVE.


Anyway, you know how you look forward to getting past 12 weeks of pregnancy because you start feeling better? Well, it is actually longer than that. And when you add in a sinus infection after a bad cold, you beging to wonder if you will ever feel better. I don't know how people survive sinus infections without being married to an Otorhinolarygologist. Talk about convenient. Except that being pregnant, I can only take Tylenol for fever/pain. I did start a course of Augmentin last night, along with picking up a few generic Lortab, but it was a bad combination. Both of them must be taken with food, which I did, but I overwhelmed my poor pregnancy sensitive stomach and added vomiting to my list of ills in the middle of the night, just as the pain (excruciating, by the way) was slightly subsiding.

Anyway, I took enough tylenol from the Lortab and other sources that I only have 1000 mg to spread out until 8:30 pm tonight. Luckily, the pain is nowhere near as severe today, although the nausea from the Augmentin is nothing to laugh at. The one bright spot is that I have finally discovered the joys of a sinus rinse. If you have never tried that, you are missing out. I don't often get sinus infections (the last time was when Ben was born and I also had pneumonia . . . what a memory) so I've never flushed my sinuses before. Now I live for it. It is so satisfying to blow your nose, think you've got it all out, then flush the sinuses, and blow out ten times more green gunk. And then you can breathe through your nose for at least 20 minutes.

So now I have 9 more days of nausea thanks to the Augmentin when I thought I only had a few days left of slight "morning sickness". Please nobody get sick for Thanksgiving or Christmas . . .

3 comments:

Sonja said...

The boys and I LOVE sinus rinses...Sean thinks were crazy....but that is nothing new! :) Hope you feel better soon.

Raina said...

I hope you feel better! Being sick and pregnancy feels like death by pregnancy.
Enjoy the holidays!

Adriane said...

HILARY! I finally had a chance to sit and update myself on your blog! LOVE IT! First of all about a year ago I got a nettie pot and clean my sinuses often with a little dead sea salt in the water. I don't know if it's as good of a clean out as the sinus rinser that you have, but when I do use it I feel like my sinuses just got reborn. It feel GRRREEEAAAT! In fact I think I'll go right now and use it. I have a crappy lung thing going on right now. But.....I'm taking the Prednisiolne and that's sort of helping. What else....ok....om we really didn't get much of a chance to really visit did we, at the beach I mean. Next time Tom and I stay with you guys so we can have more bonding time. So, WICKED! Oh my word! I can't wait to see this play someday. I have heard wonderful things about it. Jonnie and Denny and Sean and Sonja are all spending Thanksgiving together and invited us and I really want to go, but you know my hubbie. He's like, "We just had a big vacation, we need to save some money." Which we do, but it sure is hard knowing they are only 10 hours away and are going to be having a great time! Oh well. Ok, you are so cute. I love your pregnant bump. Have a great day, seriously you are one of those beautiful pregnant women that should be on the cover of Maternity Girl Magazine or something. Love ya!